Friday, November 21, 2014

Coconut

The sea tosses many different gifts upon the shore -- seashells mostly, but sometimes messages in bottles, coins, even cargo from passing ships.

Not long ago I stumbled upon a water-logged, weathered coconut. Of course, it came from some tropical shore, probably from Florida or the Caribbean, carried to Ocracoke by the Gulf Stream and stormy weather off-shore.














In the past I've picked up apples, onions, and other fruits and vegetables that were perfectly fit to eat...but I left this coconut lying on the beach among copious amounts of seaweed.  It didn't look like it was worth the time to break it open.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a 1910 article about waterfowl hunting. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102114.htm.  

4 comments:

  1. Error 404 (page not found) I hope all is well. Say Hi to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up, Robb. I had posted the wrong link, Look for a link to a new Newsletter on Monday.

      Delete
    2. I am so looking forward to it; I look forward to all your posts. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Philip, I also found a coconut this past August while walking in Northern Avon, past where the houses begin. My son wanted to know if we could take it back to the house and crack it open....but it looked just as nasty the one pictured!
    NJ Reader

    ReplyDelete