Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Bare Feet

Summertime means bare feet on Ocracoke. When I was a boy I liked nothing better than running through soft sand on the island (except when the sand was so hot it scorched my feet...or where the sand was covered with sand spurs!).

Lachlan takes his shoes off at every opportunity. When I saw him with his bare feet propped up on my porch swing a few days ago I knew I had to take this photo.















Lachlan's feet were so dirty! They reminded me of when I was a teenager. I walked the village lanes with friends until after dark. My feet would be filthy dirty. When I returned home I was usually too tired to wash up properly (we had to fill a galvanized tub for bathing), so I just pulled on a pair of socks before I got into bed!

I have taught Lachlan that trick, but most of the time he is responsible, and cleans his feet before turning in for the night.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of traveling to the island on Frazier Peele's ferry in 1951. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news042114.htm.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:09 AM

    nothing better !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys grew up on an Indiana farm and never wore shoes (after the snow left). I left a pan of water by the back door and an old towel, that seemed to solve the problem!! Miss those dirty little feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:19 PM

    More children need to experience dirty feet! NCMainlander wonders if Lachlan was reading while he was enjoying your porch swing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:37 PM

    I figured as much! Good for him!!! NC Mainlander is encouraged by Lachlan's zest for reading & inventing!

    ReplyDelete