Sunday, September 09, 2012

Andy

Lachlan and I spent the evening together last night. After a hearty supper we settled down to watch a little classic TV. I had worked in the yard all day, and was too tired for much else. Lachlan doesn't watch much TV, and had never seen the Andy Griffith Show, so I introduced him to Andy, Barney, Opie, and Aunt Bea. It was a big hit. Lachlan loved it. 

I explained that Andy Griffith died recently, but that he had lived in Manteo. I told him about the one time I saw Andy in the Manteo Furniture Store. I had heard that he didn't like fans to badger him, so I never even let on that I recognized him. Andy was chatting amiably with the salesman, finished his business, stopped to acknowledge a neighbor, and left. Manteo is a lot like Mayberry.

RIP Andy!


Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of midwifery on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news082112.htm

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Which reminds me of the times I've passed Philip on Ocracoke and, presuming he'd rather not be bothered, just "never even let on that I recognized him."

    Next time, though, I'll introduce myself.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:03 PM

    Lachlan's lack of viewing huge amounts of TV is to be admired. I wish children didn't lounge in front of the TV as much as some kids do. Watching "The Andy Griffith" show, however, a good way to be entertained.

    How wonderful you and Lachlan viewed the show together.

    Another good one for a youngster to enjoy is "The Waltons". Of course, living one's childhood on Ocracoke Island has to be better than most new programs on TV.

    ReplyDelete