Friday, February 24, 2012

Spontanaity

On Wednesday afternoon Amy & I were standing in front of Eduardo's Taco Stand near the Variety Store when I noticed one of Ocracoke's newest teachers riding by on his bicycle. "Amy," I said, "I should invite him over for dinner sometime. I have never had a chance to spend any time with him."

Moments later he rode by again. "Shay," I called out. He rode over and we asked him if he wanted to join us for dinner. He agreed without any hesitation. He ordered a burrito, and we went back to my house to join David and Lachlan for an enjoyable evening of great Mexican food and lively conversation.

Shay Youell is our new middle school language arts teacher. He is in his mid-20s, with connections to Virginia and North Carolina. It was clear from our first conversation that he is full of energy and enthusiastic about language, literature and teaching. One of his classes has 19 students, one of the largest classes ever at Ocracoke School.

One of the many things I like about Ocracoke is the spontaneity. Sometimes a notion just pops into our heads and we go for it. There was no planning, no stress or worry. Just on the spur of the moment we created an evening of fun, and strengthened our sense of community at the same time.

Welcome to Ocracoke, Shay. We're glad to have you on board

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of the Civil War on the Outer Banks, Josephus Daniels, Jr, Secretary of the Navy during WWI, and his connection to Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022112.htm.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:56 PM

    Aaah spontaneity--there's nothing like it. In fact, I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Just did a google search for "shay" youdell and a UNC page lists a Shea Alexander Youdell is this the same person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:09 PM

    oops youell no d those typo gremlins are all over love proving I AM NOT A ROBOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never asked him how to spell his name. I got the spelling from the Ocracoke School web page. His name might be Shea, rather than Shay.

    So, the answer is that I don't know if our middle school English teacher is Shea Alexander Youell. But it is a pretty good bet, since he told me went to UNC-CH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:46 PM

    Usually I drag strangers home. This seems more civil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Philip, first of all a very nice gesture to invite Shea for dinner. Secondly, it allows us outsiders to know a little bit more about the people who call Ocracoke Island their home. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete