Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A Remarkably Clean Beach

On Thursday afternoon last week I stuffed a plastic bag in my pocket, backed my pickup truck out of the yard, and headed for the Pony Pen beach. I walked across to the water, then set out for about two miles...first south along the tide line, then turned north and walked back farther up near the dunes. I only glanced out at the ocean occasionally. The surf was rough, and there was no chance of seeing dolphins. I was searching for trash. Below is a photo of what I found...a barnacle encrusted scotch bonnet, and a broken piece of a glass jar.



(Click on the photo to view a larger image.)

I wondered where the broken glass had come from. The edges were still sharp, so it hadn't been there long. Regardless, I was encouraged to be reminded that Ocracoke's beach is remarkably clean.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter tells the story of Ocracoker, Kelly O'Neal, and the 1951 revolution in Siam (Thailand). You can read it here:
http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news012910.htm.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Philip Do you ever find sea glass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. emmaocie11:30 AM

    The last day of my winter break, I went to the Pony Pen beach. There were dolphins everywhere & I found a whole whelk! :) It's a special place this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We find sea glass only occasionally. I understand that it's much more common to find it along the northern Outer Banks. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete