Friday, June 19, 2009

New Bike

Lou Ann and I were off island yesterday. We had a few errands to run "up the beach," as we say. We stopped and picked up a new, bright red beach cruiser (it was an early birthday present for Lou Ann). For the last seven years she's just had one old junker after another. Her last bike was so rusted that the handlebars just gave way and collapsed a few days ago. She said she was happier yesterday, than she was at ten years old, when she got her first new bike.

Oh yes, she also got a brand new pink cell phone! She's like a little kid who just got a pez dispenser.

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is "Remembering Growing up on Ocracoke" by Lawton Howard. You can read it here.

5 comments:

  1. There's nothing like a shiny new bike! Congrats, Lou Ann! And pink is a cool cell phone color! You're stylin' now, girl! LOL

    The 3 of us are heading down to Ocracoke this Sunday morning -- (me, hubby and 18-year-old, reluctant son) -- can't wait!

    Say, did the Pony Island stop serving dinner and serve just lunch and breakfast now? I hope not! It's one of our favorite eateries! Delicious fresh sweet tea! See ya'll this weekend!

    Linda, Tom & Christopher Borneman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:19 PM

    And it will be interesting who even knows about a pez dispenser.
    Have fun on the BIKE. Will be there, end of July.
    :):):)
    Sarah in Gastonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou Ann and I will be going to the Pony Island for breakfast tomorrow for Father's Day, and I think they are also open for dinner, but sometimes I can't keep up with the restaurant schedules. Maybe another reader knows.

    Re. Pez dispensers: I just bought one for Lachlan a few weeks ago at the Community Store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:06 PM

    Pez has a web site purchasing the refills now that is a challenge. why not give him Tums-- at least it is a source of calcium.

    Oh yes --who would get excited about that ??

    I hope Luann bought a Helmet a bell/horn and a nice wicker basket for the bike too. Does North Carolina encourage cyclists to wear helmets ? ride a bike facing traffic or what --are there bike lanes on the highway on the island and did she buy a LOCK??? Or is she immune to bad things and has a good health insurance policy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:52 PM

    Thanks for your concern for my safety! I do have a great lock for my bike, but am lacking a helmet...I guess I need to look for one. Oh, In NC bikers ride with the traffic and walkers face the traffic. This should be on all driving tests. In the middle of the summer here,though,it appears no rules apply!! (I have BCBS!)
    Lou Ann

    ReplyDelete