Monday, April 07, 2008

April Showers

Philip called from Indiana a few minutes ago to tell me how lovely the weather is there today. He is sitting in Lou Ann's back yard reading, in the sunshine. It's been raining here for a week and a half and we're not expecting a break until Thursday. For a person who hangs their laundry outside to dry that is a very serious state of affairs. Frank and I are wearing outfits we haven't worn in years....and for good reason. Actually, with the drought we had last year, the rain is most welcome, even if we do have to roll up our pantlegs, take off our shoes and wade in the driveway to the kitchen steps. It reminds me of when our boys were small and I taught them to wade in puddles. Does that make me a bad mother? Anyhoo...the flowers will be blooming soon enough and the sun shining on the cedars wet with ra
indrops sparkling like diamonds.



Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is a reprint of the eulogy given at the funeral service for island native Muzel Bryant who died in February at the age of 103. You can read it here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:10 PM

    Your writing brings up a good question. I have noticed no where on the island to do laundry. Do you have to drive all the way to Hatteras if you need to do a large wash? We stayed for 2 weeks in a camper and we did not find a place until we got to Nags Head. Where is the nearest laundromat? I just pack a lot of clothes and wear a lot of the same things too. Thanks for keeping me up with what is going on. Less than a month, I WILL BE THERE. I get this way every year when we come. I keep praying one day we will come and find us a place to live and work there. Have a great rainy Monday. Terrie @ Walkertown NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:11 PM

    This is just for Terrie in Walkertown...My best friend and I could be your twins...While we haven't camped on Ocracoke, many of your comments could be ours. We will also be on Ocracoke the first week in May, and Lynn and I start dreaming at the beginning of January of our time on Ocracoke. Yesterday was a wonderfully warm(for Vermont) 60 degrees and I must admit that I stood with the sun on my face and wished I was there.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:08 AM

    Great~ all this time I thought I was an only child! Thanks!
    Terrie @ Walkertown NC

    ReplyDelete