Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pace of Life

Yesterday I was out in the side yard chatting with my daughter, Amy. Lachlan was running up and down the ramp at their house. As we talked, Michael skidded to an abrupt stop behind us, nearly touching Amy's calf with his bike tire. We both jumped. As usual, Michael had an infectious grin on his face. He was just being impish. Michael is co-owner of the Flying Melon Restaurant where Amy sometimes works, and he was riding down Howard Street when he decided to stop and visit.

We stood there talking for a while, but I was in the middle of a small plumbing project, so I excused myself to get back to work. As I walked away I thought, this is one of the reasons that life on the island is so pleasant. We all work. But in unconventional ways, and sometimes at odd schedules. And usually we are flexible, so we can stop and chat with neighbors along the lane.

I believe the relaxed pace of life is a healthy way to live. It encourages creativity, and neighborliness, and a lighthearted approach to daily living. It suits us just fine.

This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment