Saturday, May 12, 2007

Clams

"Where are the clam rakes?" Al yelled early one morning not long ago. I was still in bed, awake, but not quite ready to get up. The windows were open and a very gentle breeze was wafting across the room. "They're propped up against the out building," I called back. "Oh, no they're not. I put them inside the shed," I corrected myself. I could hear Al grumble and fuss out in the yard, but I knew it was just a show. I have five rakes. The clam rakes technically belong to me, but in reality they have become communal property. Other friends have one or two, so whenever anyone needs more we simply borrow from each other.

Al had friends visiting so he was preparing to take them out in the sound to do some clamming. I hadn't been yet, and secretly wished I was going also. But, truth be told, my day was already planned. I really didn't have time to go rake for clams.

Almost as good, however, when Al returned the rakes he brought with him a bucket of fresh clams. As O'cockers say, they were good some!



This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment