Wednesday, April 25, 2007

More Shells

The other day a customer asked me where the best place was to look for seashells. I explained that there isn't any one particular stretch of the beach that is better than another, and that, furthermore, it's not like it was decades ago before such easy access to the beach by so many people. "You might be lucky and find an unbroken shell," I said, "but don't be disappointed if you don't"

The very next day I spied a section of beach littered with mostly broken shells. But amongst the fragments I located several nice specimens, including one nearly perfect lettered olive. The black object below is actually fairly common. It is a skate egg case, or what Ocracokers call a "Devil's Pocketbook."



This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment