Friday, April 20, 2007

Moon Snail

April has been unseasonably cold this year. Folks walk into the Village Craftsmen bundled up in heavy jackets, wool hats, and scarves. Babies are wrapped in blankets, and toddlers wear mittens and caps.

The air at the beach is sharp and cuts through layers of clothes. Yesterday the sand raced across the flats, obliterating my footprints as I walked. It found its way through seams in my shoes, into my socks, and between my toes. I trudged along, hood pulled tight around my face, my head down to protect it from the stinging wind. And that's how I spotted this beautiful moon snail washed up on the beach.



This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment