Monday, April 30, 2007

Graveyards

It's springtime and the grasses, weeds, and vines (especially poison ivy) are growing prolifically. This morning I decided it was time to do some trimming and cutting in the graveyards. I don't do landscaping and I'm not much for flowers (only occasionally do I add I few wildflowers). I'm content to let much of the natural vegetation climb up the fences and drop down from overhanging tree limbs. But I cut down the tall grass and sprouting weeds and shrubs that would threaten to overtake the graves. It is a satisfying chore. Outside, in the morning air, the dappled shadows on the marble tombstones, I worked among the spirits of ancestors -- my mother and father, Grandpapa Homer & Grandmama Aliph, Aunt Tressie and Uncle Wheeler, as well as assorted other relatives. Just one more opportunity to connect with the past in this small village.



This month's newsletter discusses the planned replacement of the seven bridges on Ocracoke Island in early 2008, and explains some of the issues we will face. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Philip,
    Look forward to your writings every day !!!!

    Any new restaurants opening this year and is Pony Island going to be opened for dinner? I know last year they stopped dinners.

    Be there for Memorial Day and will stop in at the Village Craftsmen as usual.

    ReplyDelete