Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Good Busy

Last night five of us "bachelors" (our girlfriends and/or wives are off the island) met at Howard's Pub for dinner and camaraderie. Among other things we decided to resurrect "Closed Today Theater." For several years we had gathered at Jude & Frank Brown's home on Sunday evenings to watch movies (classic, vintage, foreign, or off-the-wall). For a number of reasons (including storm damage to the Browns' house some time ago) we stopped. Now it is time to revive a valuable island tradition. We will meet at Tom Pahl's home at 7 pm on Sunday.

Tonight I'll join my son-in-law, David Tweedie, for bean soup and then bike over to the Community Center for our monthly Civic & Business Association meeting. In the meantime, of course, I'll stroll along the beach and maybe pick up a few shells.

So life can be busy and full on Ocracoke, even in the winter months. But it's a "good busy," time for nature, community, friends, and relaxation.

Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Ocracoke's Street Names, Part II, published December 19, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news121805.htm.

.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:38 PM

    As an educator, I wonder about the teachers on Ocracoke and if they feel as relaxed as you do during the off-season. My guess is that the off-season is their on-season. But perhaps they, too, get to enjoy frequent walks on the beach. I certainly hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you're right. There are actually a few other jobs on Ocracoke that don't permit afternoon walks on the beach -- bank tellers, water plant employees, post office workers, and even employees of a number of small businesses. But by and large islanders have a more relaxed schedule than many other folks -- at least in the winter. Even school teachers and the others I mentioned can take walks on the beach in the mornings or late afternoons (or even on lunch breaks) if they choose to. After all, it's only a short drive from the village. I just know that I take the opportunity when I can. I don't want to have regrets that I squandered my chance to enjoy the natural beauty all around me.

    ReplyDelete