Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Night Sky Over Ocracoke

Last night, after I turned off my cell phone (I had been sharing the day's news with Lou Ann), I walked outside for a few moments. The air was fresh and clean, the temperature mild. All was quiet -- no roar of automobiles, no hum of air conditioners, no voices from nearby homes, not even the croak of a tree frog or the song of a cicada.

I peered into the night sky. It was spectacular...as if the world's richest gemstone merchant had opened a black velvet pouch and spread a vast array of sparkling diamonds upon the fabric. There they were -- Orion, the Seven Sisters, Venus, the Milky Way, and so many more -- winking at me standing quietly and alone on Lawton Lane. And then, as if to say, "Look here, the mystery never ends," a shooting star raced across the heavens.

I went back inside, awed and content. I fell asleep in moments.

Our current monthly Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of George & Jule, published October 29, 2005. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news102905.htm.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment