Sunday, January 09, 2005

Gun Metal Beach

Although it is only moderately cold today, the beach seemed bleak & desolate. A lone park ranger was patrolling, though I'm not sure to what end. I was alone with the gulls and cormorants, the latter all flying south except for one flock moving resolutely in the opposite direction. I wondered what information they had that the others didn't. Were they wise and innovative, or just plain misguided?

The wind carried small streams of sand across my path and into the cold choppy water the color of gun metal blue. I pulled my hood tight around my head and turned around. And there ahead of me, a bit farther out than usual, was a pod of dolphins. I watched as they surfaced and dove again, moving in many different directions. Feeding, I supposed. It was time for me to go home and have a mug of hot chocolate.


No comments:

Post a Comment